Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dianna's Weekly Dash of Different Diction

Welcome to this week's edition of Dash of Different Diction. Today's phrase is "Nice to see you".

I've used this one myself a few times in America saying, "Nice to see you again." One of my favourite British shows is now Come Dine With Me where four or five strangers come together for a week's worth of dinners at each others homes. Each person takes a turn impressing the others in a bid to win a 1,000 pound prize. Oooh! The first night is always the most awkward. Now, you might not think this is strange but I sure did. Person A would walk up to Person B and say, "Hi, I'm Ellen." *hand shake* And Person B would respond by saying, "Hi Ellen, I'm Daniel. Nice to see you." I let it pass the first few times I heard it and finally I was like, "What...?" So... "nice to see you" = "nice to meet you"!

No comments:

Post a Comment