Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dianna's Weekly Dash of Different Diction

Welcome to this week's edition of Dash of Different Diction. Today's word is fancy dress.

When I first came to Scotland, my flatmates and I organised some dinners with some new friends we'd met. I suggested that we should all dress fancy and have a fun night with wine and champagne. I think they might have looked at me strangely but then nodded and said okay. What I meant is I thought it would be fun to put on your nice dresses while the guys wear shirts and ties. Little did I know they were envisioning something different. Over here, fancy dress refers to costumes. They have 'fancy dress shops' and on Halloween you go to 'fancy dress parties'. It's been a bit hard to get used to but I think I've got it down finally!

2 comments: